~~Exactly one week from today, the NFL season will begin with a matchup between the Seahawks and the Packers. And, you know what that means. It’s time for my projections and predictions for the NFL season. Let’s get started.
NFL MVP- QB Aaron Rodgers, Packers
New no-huddle offense. Strong running back. Good weapons. And, the same old Aaron Rodgers. I don’t know whether he’ll put up 2011-like numbers, but his talent should lead to some impressive MVP-worthy numbers.
Offensive Player of the Year- Rodgers
Nothing more to explain here.
Defensive Player of the Year- LB Luke Kuechly, Panthers
I’ve been paying attention to Kuechly since broke out last season. From what I’ve seen, Kuechly is the best linebacker in the NFL. He’s intelligent, he’s talented, and he’s fierce. JJ Watt and Richard Sherman are certain to get some consideration too.
Rookie of the Year- LB Jadeveon Clowney, Texans
Clowney has exceeded expectations so far in the preseason. Between him and JJ Watt, the Texans pass rush should be unstoppable. Clowney has the talent to succeed and now he has Watt to take some pressure off of his shoulders. Expect Clowney to have a huge year with at least 10 sacks.
Comeback Player of the Year- WR Julio Jones, Falcons
Jones’ 2013 season was cut short due to a knee injury. And, Jones is one of the most talented players in the league. He’s looked good in the preseason and he has the right quarterback to help him succeed. If healthy, Julio could easily reach 1,000+ yards receiving and 10 TD’s.
Coach of the Year- Sean Payton, Saints
Lets forget about the Bounty Scandal and everything that has happened in the past. Sean Payton is a great coach and he has a great team. The Saints have a real shot at the Super Bowl this year and will easily run away with the NFC South title. I believe this team is even better than the Saints team that won the Super Bowl in 2009.
NFC Wild Card
(3) Packers over (6) Cardinals
(4) 49ers over (5) Eagles
(1) Saints over (4) 49ers
(3) Packers over (2) Seahawks
Saints over Packers
AFC Wild Card
(3) Colts over (6) Bengals
(5) Chiefs over (4) Steelers
(1) Broncos over (5) Chiefs
(2) Patriots over (3) Colts
Patriots over Broncos
Super Bowl Prediction
Saints over Patriots
I think the Broncos have more star power than the Pats, but I would take Bill Belichick over John Fox and Tom Brady over Peyton Manning anyday. In the playoffs, experience matters. The Saints are the class of the NFC. They are definitely the most well-rounded team in the NFC and maybe the NFL.
In the Super Bowl, I think Drew Brees and the Saints will prevail. New Orleans offense is too explosive and their improved D will stymie Tom Brady and New England. It will be a close game, but I choose the Saints in this one.
14 Bold Predictions for the upcoming season:
1) Johnny Manziel will win 0 games as a starter
2) The Steelers will win the AFC North
3) The Jets will win at least 10 games
4) Andrew Luck will throw for 5,000 yards and 40 TD’s
5) Eddie Lacy will lead the league in total yards from scrimmage
6) The Browns will win less than 4 games
7) Robert Quinn and Chris Long will combine for 30+ sacks
8) Eli Manning will lead all QB’s in turnovers again
9) Cordarrelle Patterson will finish with at least 1,500 receiving yards
10) Aaron Rodgers will break his previous record for highest passer rating in a season
11) No 49er will rush for 1,000 yards
12) Nick Foles will throw 15 interceptions
13) DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Johnson will combine for 2,500 yards receiving
14) Tony Romo will throw for 4,000 yards and 40 TD's
Thanks for reading and welcome back football.
Follow me on Twitter @extrainnings23